As business owners, we often presume that clients know what we know…and should have little hesitation about entrusting us with the task at hand. “No problem,” you might think. “I know what I’m doing.” In fact, in order to build client trust and increase confidence about working with you — buying your product or services — might require that you offer potential clients a bit more assurance.
As an example, let’s say you decide to go skydiving.
If the skydiving instructor says to you: “Here, strap this on and jump,” you might not do it. But if you were walked through what to expect, the safety precautions that were being taken, that your concerns were being heard and were assured that the instructor understood what you needed to know, you’d be more inclined to take that leap.
Clearly branding and positioning your company — letting your potential clients know what you do, how you do it, whom you do it for and the benefits you provide, as well as offering examples of how others have trusted you, are the credentials that prospects may require.
You can improve your success rate in converting prospects to customers and build client trust by:
- Demonstrating your abilities via testimonials, blog posts, whitepapers, articles, case studies, project examples and LinkedIn recommendations
- Taking time (and listening!) to understand the needs and wants of your clients — via phone or in-person conversations, having the prospect complete a brief questionnaire giving you more information about their business and reviewing their existing website content and collateral materials
- Delineating the scope of the project your potential client is discussing — and letting them know that you clearly comprehend what they envision
- Explaining the project process (what milestones will mark important stages), what input will be required from the client and what the end result will be — what your potential client can expect
- Focusing on the benefits of working with you (it is more important for your prospect to understand what you do…not exactly how you do it)
You wouldn’t jump out of a plane without the assurance of a safe landing…make sure your potential clients feel the same.