Like the proverbial Rolodex of yore, an up-to-date, contact-rich email list is an indispensable marketing tool. It’s an accessory that’s an important component of your overall marketing strategy. It’s golden.
How can you build your invaluable email list?
- Friends and family – start here…with those who know you best
- Add contacts you make through networking and industry events – when you meet them, let them know you have a blog and would like to include them on your list
- Mine your LinkedIn contacts – I let those who would like to connect with me know that I’ll be adding them to my blog list and that they are free to unsubscribe if they don’t find the information helpful
- Ask Facebook, Google + and Twitter followers to sign-up for your blog
- When you’ve established a new contact, send a preliminary email letting them know that you’ll be adding them to your blog list and they will have the option of unsubscribing
- Be sure to gather emails from those who sign up on your website – have an email opt-in sign-up link on both your blog page and home page (real estate in the upper right hand corner is perfect for this). You should also provide an RSS feed option though those that sign up for your RSS feed will not be available on your email list.
- Offer a “freemium” (ebook, survey, white paper) and those who sign-up have given you the de facto right, or permission, to send them your materials (and later emails)
- Be sure to include a link to your blog URL in your email signature, on your business card, in your social media profiles, on your SlideShare presentations and in any promotional materials you distribute. You can even include an excerpt from a recent post at the bottom of each email you send…give readers a sample!
- Inviting people to sign up for your blog when you meet them, including an invitation to subscribe at the end of your blog posts and asking that readers share your blog content and URL…all are great ways to build your collection…of names
- Repurposing your content on a guest blog gives you access to a larger, different audience and additional opportunities to add email list contacts
If your blog posts, social media updates and other published materials provide information and insight that is relevant and valuable to your readers (as they should!), then you are providing a beneficial service and recipients will welcome your communications.
Keep adding to your email collection … it’s priceless.