Albert Einstein famously said that “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
Many businesses have marketed themselves in the same ways for years. They still place print ads, recycle old brochures or count on word-of-mouth referrals. And when business doesn’t improve (or worse, gets worse), what do they do? They just do more of the same. And expect different results.
Print advertising, for most businesses, is not as successful as it once was. A website designed 10 or five or sometimes just three years ago, can look tired and outdated. Seeing the same ol’ folks at your networking group might not be paying off like it used to. Is the photo on your bio from 1983?
The amount of marketing options available today can be overwhelming. Many require learning new skills or hiring experts and the time investment can be substantial. But adopting a new marketing strategy can really pay off.
You need to shake it up!
- Revisit your branding –the words and visuals should be relevant, memorable and differentiate you from the competition. People need to clearly understand what you do and why they should work with you. It is important that your brand message and design feel current.
- Could your website use a revamp? Creating a new website in WordPress is relatively inexpensive and allows you to easily update content. A contemporary, functional design is crucial. Frequently updating content elevates you in search engine rankings – allowing both new and existing clients to find you.
- Incorporate content marketing into your strategy. Publish a business blog, articles, whitepapers or newsletters that position you as an expert. And then email this content as a way to stay top of mind with your contacts.
- Are you exploiting various social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Google + or Twitter to penetrate your market and be discovered by more potential customers?
- Try out some new networking groups…new faces mean new opportunities.
- Instead of talking to one person, a speaking engagement puts you in contact with an entire audience.
It may be time to try new ways to market your business. 2013 could be the year you resolve to stop the insanity and get better… results!
Martha Spelman is a Los Angeles-based marketing, branding and social media consultant. Want more marketing ideas and inspiration? Sign up for Martha’s Blog: Marketing Musings and Tips du Jour. You can reach Martha directly at: email@example.com or 310.670.5300.